Thursday, October 15, 2009

Reggae Hut



Info:
Reggae Hut
4814 Almeda Rd
Houston, TX 77004-5669

Must Tries: Jerk chicken, Brown Stewed chicken.
Healthy Options: The Jerk chicken is grilled, great vegetable medley sides.
Price: Under $12 bucks.
What to Expect: Reggae Hut is a small hole in the wall that serves up great Jamaican food. The staff is very nice and easy to talk to. The dishes revolve around chicken, vegetables and unique spices so don’t be afraid to try it, you won’t regret it!

My Experience: I choose to visit Reggae Hut in celebrating my birthday. I had been interested in trying Jerk Chicken for some time now, after 28 years I finally did.

We began our lunch with meat patties. They were very similar to "Empanadas". The dough was flaky and had a unique bright yellow/orange color to it. The meat inside was flavorful and moist. 



The Jerk chicken was tender and flavorful with the right balance of spice. The 1/2 chicken was well seasoned; the chicken was spicy, sweet and delicious. My dish was served with a cabbage based vegetable medley and rice & beans as sides. The rice and beans were a little bland so I combined my extra Jerk spice into it.



We also ordered the Brown Stewed chicken which was very tender and had a great comforting flavor. No fork needed! The chicken fell right off the bone and was stewed with corn, potatoes, and vegetables. This is a perfect rainy day dish.


The combination of the great Jamaican food, Reggae music and an afternoon rain shower took me to the islands without leaving the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment