Thursday, January 28, 2010

Diner's Drive-In's and Dives Visited: Cafe Pita



Info: Café Pita
10890 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77042
cafepita.weebly.com

Must Tries: Hummus with lepinja bread! Pljeskavice Stuffed!
Healthy Options: Hummus and chicken is the way to go.
Price: Great deal, prices for most dishes under $10.
What to Expect: Café Pita is located in a small shopping center off Westheimer just passed the Beltway. Café Pita specializes in Bosnian food. Fear not, the menu is easy to read and the wait staff is helpful.

My Experience: I learned of Café Pita from watching Guy Fieri on the Food Network’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives visit to Houston. The show had Guy raving about the Bosnian burgers, which was enough to entice me to visit Café Pita.

I started my visit off with a order of hummus with lepinja bread.
At $3.99 this bowl was a great way to start this adventure.



Lepinja bread is Bosnian flat bread. I was intrigued by this bread because it was shaped like pita but much fluffier inside. This was a hybrid of a pita and bread roll. The bread was warm and very soft on the inside, perfect for hummus scooping.



The Bosnian burger known as Pljeskavice is ground beef mixed with spices served on lepinja bread with onions and ajvar.



I was weary of slathering ajvar (a spread made from red bell peppers, eggplant, garlic and chili pepper) on a perfectly good burger and topping it off with strong raw white onions but I thought to myself, "When in Rome!" The ajvar and onions added a distinct flavor to the burger. I wasn't a big fan of the traditional style, so I opted to enjoy my second half, plain old beef and cheese.

 


Pljeskavice is served regular or stuffed. Here below is the Pljeskavice stuffed with cheese and mushrooms. The Bosnian burger is made of up two meat patties molded together with cheese and mushrooms stacked in-between. The burger was big and should be a must try.


The lepinja bread was the all star today. Unlike when served with the hummus the bread is brushed with beef stock before the burger is assembled, this made the bread moist and in some areas downright too soggy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment